Sofia is one of the most ancient European cities with its over 7000 years-old past, having known both peace and prosperity but also eras of historical cataclysms.
The tour ‘Sofia’s Roman Past’ takes you on a journey through time, discovering the city’s hidden wonders and history throughout the centuries when it was considered one of the most significant commercial centers of the Roman Empire. The sites that we will explore include:
- The Archaeological Complex underneath the Basilica of St. Sofia – there is no other monument in Sofia, which so fully encompasses and preserves the heritage of Roman Serdica
- The Amphitheatre of Serdica – a site, clearly illustrating the connection and continuity between the city’s ancient heritage and its modern outlook
- The Eastern Gate of Serdica – witness to the emergence, heyday and decline of an empire
- The Archaeological Complex Rotunda of St. George – the biggest and most representative complex within the ‘Serdika – Sredets‘ archaeology reserve
* When placing your booking, please indicate the date you wish to take the tour in the Order Notes section!